Dr Andrew J. Dowdy
Dr Andrew J. Dowdy
Interests and Research:
Extreme weather events and their modes of variability, seasonal forecasting, climate observations and projections:
- extratropical cyclones
- East Coast Lows
- severe winds
- heavy rainfall
- large ocean waves
- tropical cyclones
- Dowdy, AJ, 2014: Long-term changes in Australian tropical cyclone numbers. Atmospheric Science Letters, doi: 10.1002/asl2.502.
- Dowdy, AJ, Mills, GA, Timbal, B and Wang, Y, 2014: Fewer large waves for eastern Australia due to decreasing storminess. Nature Climate Change, doi:10.1002/jgrd.50852.
- Dowdy, AJ, Mills, GA, Timbal, B, Griffiths, M and Wang, Y, 2013: Understanding rainfall projections in relation to extratropical cyclones in eastern Australia. Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Journal, 63(3), 355-364.
- Dowdy, AJ, Mills, GA, Timbal, B and Wang, Y, 2013: Changes in the risk of extratropical cyclones in eastern Australia. Journal of Climate, 26, 1403-1417, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00192.1.
- Dowdy, AJ, Mills, GA, Timbal, B, and Bates, B, 2013: Modelling the impact of climate change on the ignition of bushfires. Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc.. MODSIM2013, 52pp (www.mssanz.org.au/modsim2013/documents/MODSIM2013_abstracts.pdf).
- Dowdy, AJ, Mills, GA and Timbal, B, 2013: Large-scale diagnostics of extratropical cyclogenesis in eastern Australia. International Journal of Climatology, 10, 231802327, doi: 10.1002/joc.3599.
- Dowdy, AJ and Mills, GA, 2012: Atmospheric and fuel moisture characteristics associated with lightning-attributed fires. J. of Applied Met. and Climate, 51, 2025-2037, doi: 10.1175/JAMC-D-11-0219.1.
- Dowdy, AJ and Mills, GA, 2012: Characteristics of lightning-attributed fires in south-east Australia. Int. J. of Wildland Fire, 21, 521524, doi.org/10.1071/WF10145.
- Dowdy, AJ, Qi, L, Jones, D, Ramsay, H, Fawcett, R and Kuleshov Y, 2012: Tropical cyclone climatology of the South Pacific Ocean and its relationship to the El Niño-Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate, 25, 6108-6122, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-11-00647.1.
- Dowdy, AJ and Kuleshov, Y, 2012: An analysis of tropical cyclone occurrence in the Southern Hemisphere derived from a new satellite-era dataset. Int. J. of Remote Sensing, 23(10), DOI:10.1080/01431161.2012.685986, 7382-7397.
- Kuleshov, Y, De Wit, R, Phan, J, Schweitzer, M, Dowdy, A and Jones, D, 2011: Pacific Climate Change Science Program: Improving the understanding of tropical cyclone climatology. PORSEC Bulletin, 5(2), 4-8.
- Dowdy, AJ, Mills, GA and Timbal, B, 2011: Large-scale indicators of Australian East Coast Lows and associated extreme weather events. Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research, Australia, CAWCR Technical Report No. 37 (http://www.cawcr.gov.au/publications/technicalreports/CTR_037.pdf).
- Collins, D, Sen Gupta, A, Power, S, Braganza, K, Brown, JN, Brown, JR, Cai, W, Church, J, Colman, R, Dowdy, A, Durack, P, Jones, D, Kuchinke, M, Kuleshov, Y, Lorrey, A, Lucas, C, McGree, S, McInnes, K, Moise, A, Muir, L, Murphy, B, Phipps, S.J, Smith, I, Tilbrook B and White N, 2011: Climate Change in the Pacific: Scientific Assessment and New Research. Volume 1: Regional Overview, Australian Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO. Contributing author Chapter 2 "Climate of the Western Tropical Pacific and East Timor" and Chapter 3 "Observed Climate Variability and Trends" (http://www.cawcr.gov.au/projects/PCCSP/publications.html).
- Dowdy, AJ and Mills, GA, 2011: Predicting fire from dry-lightning. Bushfire Cooperative Research Centre, Firenote, Issue 84, 4pp.
- Dowdy, AJ, Finkele, K, Mills, GA and DeGroot, B, 2010: Index sensitivity analysis applied to the Canadian Forest Fire Weather Index and the McArthur Forest Fire Danger Index. Meteorological Applications, 17, 298-312, doi: 10.1002/met.170.
- Dowdy, AJ, Mills, GA and Timbal, B, 2010: Diagnosing indicators of large-scale forcing of east-coast cyclogenesis. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 11, 012003, doi:10.1088/1755-1315/11/1/012003.
- Dowdy, AJ and Mills, GA, 2009: Atmospheric states associated with the ignition of lightning-attributed fires in southeast Australia. Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research, Australia, CAWCR Technical Report No. 19 (http://www.cawcr.gov.au/publications/technicalreports/CTR_019.pdf).
- Dowdy, A.J. and Mills, G.A., 2009: Predicting environments of dry lightning ignitions. CAWCR Modelling Workshop 2009: Modelling & Understanding High Impact Weather, Docklands, Victoria, Australia (http://www.cawcr.gov.au/events/modelling_workshops/workshop_2009/papers/DOWDYANDMILLS.pdf).
- Dowdy, AJ, Finkele, K, Mills, GA and DeGroot, B, 2009: Australian fire weather as represented by the McArthur Forest Fire Danger Index and the Canadian Forest Fire Weather Index. Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research, Australia, CAWCR Technical Report No. 10 (http://www.cawcr.gov.au/publications/technicalreports/CTR_010.pdf).
- Dowdy, AJ, Vincent, RA, Murphy, D, Tsutsumi, M, Igarashi, K, Murayama, Y, Singer, W and Murphy, D, 2007: Polar mesosphere and lower thermosphere dynamics, Part I: Mean wind and gravity wave climatologies. Journal of Geophysical Research, 12, D17104, doi:10.1029/2006JD008126.
- Dowdy, AJ, Vincent, RA, Murphy, D, Tsutsumi, M, Igarashi, K, Murayama, Y, Singer, W, Murphy, DJ and Riggin DM, 2007: Polar mesosphere and lower thermosphere dynamics, Part II: The response to sudden stratospheric warmings. Journal of Geophysical Research, 12, D17105, doi:10.1029/2006JD008127.
- Dowdy, AJ, 2005: Polar middle atmosphere dynamics. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Adelaide, School of Chemistry and Physics, Discipline of Physics, Ref:12326 (http://digital.library.adelaide.edu.au/dspace/handle/2440/38004).
- Dowdy, AJ, Vincent, RA, Murphy, D, Tsutsumi, M, Riggin, DM and Jarvis, MJ, 2004: The large-scale dynamics of the mesosphere-lower thermosphere during the Southern Hemisphere stratospheric warming of 2002. Geophysical Research Letters, 31, L14102, doi: 10.1029/2004GL020282.
- Kishore, P, Namboothiri, SP, Murayama, Y, Vincent, RA, Dowdy, AJ, Murphy, DJ and Watkins, BJ, 2003: Further evidence of hemispheric differences in the MLT mean wind climatology: Simultaneous MF radar observations at Poker Flat (65°N, 147°W) and Davis (69°S, 78°E). Geophysical Research Letters, 30, doi:10.1029/2002GL016750.
- Klekociuk, AR, Lambert, MM, Vincent, RA and Dowdy, AJ, 2003: First year of Rayleigh Lidar measurements of middle atmosphere temperatures over Davis, Antarctica. Advances in Space Research, 32, 771-776.
- Dowdy, AJ, Vincent, RA, Igarashi, K, Murayama, Y and Murphy, DJ, 2001: A comparison of mean winds and gravity wave activity in the northern and southern polar MLT. Geophysical Research Letters, 28, 1475-1478.